• Denton – Sundays in July and August at 10am •
In our materially focused world where science and technology dominate our lives we have made remarkable external progress, but we still lack a clear, comprehensive, and practical understanding of our mind. By understanding the inner science of the mind we can discover which thoughts and states of mind lead to happiness and which do not. With this knowledge we can learn positive habits of happiness and practice them in everyday life. Join us for an enlightening exploration of the mind!
From the introduction to How to Understand the Mind by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso:
We should know that in recent years our understanding and control of the external world have increased considerably and as a result we have witnessed remarkable material progress, but there has not been a corresponding increase in human happiness…This shows that the cause of happiness and the solution to our problems do not lie in knowledge or control of the external world. Happiness and suffering are feelings – parts of our mind – and so their main causes are not to be found outside the mind. If we really want to be truly happy and free from suffering we must improve our understanding of the mind.
Weekly Class Topics
- Week 1 – July 7th: The Mind, Subtle Energy, and Dreams
- Week 2 – July 14th: Feelings, Craving & Non-Attachment
- Week 3 – July 21th: The Power of Positive Thinking, Part 1 – Mental Training
- Week 4 – July 28th: The Power of Positive Thinking, Part 2 – Faith & Doubt
- Week 5 – August 4rd: Overcoming Negativity, Part 1 – Everyday Delusions
- Week 6 – August 11th: Overcoming Negativity, Part 2 – Freedom from Frustration & Anger
- Week 7: – August 18th: Special Class in Dallas (no class in Denton) – Peace, Happiness & Bliss, A Special Public Talk with Guest Teacher Kadam Lucy James!
- Week 8 – August 25th: Attention & Mindfulness, Concentration & Meditation